Thursday, May 28, 2009

Talk Radio

I began listening to talk radio recently when I got sick of listening to radio hosts talking on music stations in the morning--go figure. When you spend about 2 hours in the car each day, it's nice to have something to distract you from your misery. I'm glad that I swallowed my pride and switched to AM. I now feel like I am somewhat in the loop of what is going on in the world, and it has even inspired me to read the Wall Street Journal--which previously just decomposed on my driveway. These are the things I've learned so far from the programs I tune in to:

-Radio programs are actually interesting. I have even learned tips on saving money and staying out of debt!

-There are a lot of idiots out there who call in and make fools of themselves.

-Radio hosts are often rude and sarcastic to callers, and I like that.

-Radio hosts take themselves very seriously, and maybe they should.

-Radio hosts like to get people riled up

-You can learn about female reproductive problems while driving in your car!

Take this radio host, for example. I have no idea who he is, but look how happy he is! He gets to sit at his desk and talk and get paid for it. That sounds like any womans dream job to me. I bet this photo was taken just after he talked to a caller that agreed with his opnion, or someone who said something really stupid. This guy loves his job



I feel confident enough in myself that I can admit that listening to Chris Baker on my way home from work is one of my favorite times of the day. He is somewhat ridiculous, but he sure makes me laugh. If you live in Houston, and you're tired of hearing Lady Gaga more than you should, you can listen to Chris Baker on 950AM from 3-5 on weekdays--and during commercials, why not switch over to Sean Hannity on 740AM for some ultra full-on debates.

It doesn't matter to me whether or not I agree with what they are saying, it matters that I am making use of my brain. I decide what's right, they just give me ideas to springboard off of. It's kind of fun. Geeky? Probably so.


So the latest issue that I have been thinking about is the whole "click it or ticket" campaign. The Houston police chief said their goal with this program is to hand out 20,000 tickets a year ($$$). Well, why isn't it to get more people to wear their seatbelt Mr. Police Chief? To promote safe driving? Those are my questions. And why do people have to be told to wear a seatbelt anyway? If they are not smart enough to realize how stupid it is not to buckle up, then by all means don't wear one. I think the idea is the same as what they state in the Darwin Awards: refining the gene pool by weeding out the idiots. That's just what I think though. I mean, how can seatbelts be mandatory but motorcycle helmets not be? I wear my seatbelt, do you?

3 comments:

  1. I can't stand the jabber either. A long time ago I got into listening to books. I used to listen while on planes and in airports to drown out the noise. Now I listen all the time. They are great for commutes. And I love the library, so free. I get books and load them up on my iPod and off I go. I actually listen to them while I doing things around the house, like painting walls. Or while doing mindless work at the office.

    And I have always worn my seatbelt, but I have to fight someone I live with to put theirs one. That just boggles my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Papa thought like you, Bethany, about the seat belts. i can remember him fussy when they first came out with the laws about having to wear a seatbelt! It made him so mad! The basic question is: Is it the govt's job to protect people from their own stupidity? Talk radio will get you thinking! Sometimes they just make me mad so I have to turn it off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zach and I have been listening to NPR for the last couple of years and it's really helped us stay more informed, plus hear a lot of random, entertaining stories. These randoms facts and stories are perfect for interjecting into small talk at parties. I haven't tried out AM yet. you should check out TED talks online.

    ReplyDelete